Lutheran Young Adults Network (LYAN)

A space for Lutheran young adults to connect and create conversation: about our faith, our church(es), our generation, and our callings in the world. Created by young adults in the ELCA; all Lutheran Young Adults welcome!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Lutheran Shoes

Hi everyone. I hope this finds all Lutheran (and other young adults well and happy and not suffering from heat exhaustion). A funny story--today---it rained in Chicago. I wore some "sensible" shoes to walk to the train-they are flat slides. At one point, I got surrounded by water and had to go in---to the puddle---it was deep. The rest of the way--my sensible slides kept sliding off and I would lose my shoe on the street as I was in perpetual motion. I would be walking--and off slides the shoe and almost falls down is KG! It was like some sort of real version of SATC. Only-Sarah Jessica Parker never lost her shoe on the sidewalk, or on the subway platform (yes, my bare foot came into contact on the platform).

I'm calling it Lutheran shoes. Glam life would tell us that you can walk forever in shoes that will never fall off-just like SJP. But-most of the time-real life intervenes in the midst of pretty, but sensible walking shoes and sometimes, there you are. Foot to sidewalk, toe to subway platform, non-pedicured foot exposed to the world. The real world is full of funny and silly and humbling stuff. Nothing can escape the complexity of God's created world--full of puddles, and heat waves, and days of going to work, not even my shoes. Thankfully-nothing can escape the simple grace that unfolds in the complex world and calls us forth to revel in the puddles, and keep on walking. I'll tell you what, though, I'm definitely keeping a spare pare of flip flops in my bag at all times.

KG

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I am simply restating the obvious-actually, I accidentally hit "blog this" and this posted!

KG

6:59 AM  
Blogger Meghan said...

Thanks for the post! Interestingly, I just saw previews for a rerun of Sex and the City where Carrie is going to walk in a runway show, picks out a pair of high heels that make her look taller, and then wipes out in the middle of the show. So I guess it happens to Ms. Parker too! :-)

Hope you'll give us a blog about Holden when you get back!

12:03 PM  
Blogger Molly14m said...

Or sometimes life just takes our shoes all together, like the baby shower episode of SATC! Then we end up walking home in a pair of old, smelly Keds that we borrowed from a friend . . .

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home